raising autism header

Conservatorship of the Estate

In a Conservatorship of the Estate, the conservator handles the conservatee’s financial matters. These duties include managing the conservatee’s finances, protecting income and property, paying bills, making investments, preparing and filing taxes on behalf of the conservatee. The conservator is also required to make regular reports of the financial account to the courts and other interested parties.

You do not need a conservatorship of the estate if:

The developmentally disabled adult you care for gets public assistance, like Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security (SSA) but has no other assets, or

The developmentally disabled adult earns a wage.

But you need a conservatorship of the estate if the developmentally disabled adult has other assets, such as an inheritance or a settlement from a lawsuit that is not in a special needs trust.

Inheritance can be directed to a third party special needs trust. A large settlement from a lawsuit will become assets of a disabled adult. Consult an attorney.

This website does not go into how to petition the court for conservatorship of the estate.