raising autism header

Child Protective Services and Children with Disabilities

If your child with a disability has a social worker with your state’s disability agency than child protective services will not get involved and refer any inquiry to that agency. In California, this would be the regional service center. Child Protective Services only gets involved with children who are endangered and do not have a social worker from another agency involved.

I state this because I have heard stories of police threatening to call Child Protective Services. They threaten to have children taken away from parents whose child has a disability. This is not the case and a threat from a police officer who does not understand the system or what is going on.